Learn How To Clear or Disable Windows Search History
It is good to have a search option in windows as it can help you to search any file or folder that you don’t know where the location of that file is? But whenever you search any file or folder in your windows have ever noticed that the files you search have no option to delete from there i.e it creates a history of the files that you have searched. If you have noticed that then have you ever thought how to delete these files. Now the question is how to delete these files? Well if you don’t know about this trick then i am going to discuss about how to remove or delete these files that you search in the windows search box. For that you just have to follow these steps provided you below.
Clear the search history :-
- For clearing the search history of searched items you need to edit the registry. Always be careful while editing the registry since changes are made instantly.
To open the registry editor, press Window+R and type regedit and then press enter.
2. Then navigate to :-
3. Now, Right click the WordWheelQuery and choose Delete option and click it. Now close the Registry editor and if you search for the history of items that you have searched earlier you will see that the search history is deleted but now onwards if you search for any new item then it will again show you in the search history. Now if you want to remove the search history again then you just have to follow the steps provided above(again).
Disable the search history :-
Well deleting the search history again and again feels very annoyed!!! Isn’t it? In case of that you can also disable the search history (if you like to).
- If you want to disable the search history then you can do so by using the Local Group Policy Editor which is used to define user and computer configurations for things such as policies, security options and software options etc.
To open the Local Group Policy Editor, press Window+R and type gpedit.msc and then press enter.
2. Now navigate to :-
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
3. Then find the entry that says Turn off display of recent search entries in the Windows Explorer search box.
4. Double click the entry and change the setting to Enabled and click apply and then ok. Now whenever you do a search in Windows explorer it will not keep your search history as you have disabled the search history.
Enable/Show Search History :-
Now if you want to revert the setting to the normal state then just go to the entry again and double click it and select the “Not Configured” option. Now click apply and then OK. Then close the Group Policy window. After that you will be able to see the search history in windows explorer.
This is the simple way in which you can Clear or Disable the Windows 7 Explorer Search History. You can also try this in windows vista / 8 / 8.1 / 10.
Hope you like the tutorial and share with all your friends.
If you have any query regarding this then post your comment in the comment box below.